Friday, July 3, 2009

ANDY MURRAY OUT OF WIMBLEDON


Andy Murray a very tough player on his home ground struggled a lot. The 22-year-old missed out on becoming the first British man in 71 years to reach the final when he was beaten in four sets by Andy Roddick.

"I'll move on very quickly and come back stronger," said the Scot.

"It's a pathetic attitude to lose one match and let it ruin your year. I've always said the US Open is my best chance and I'll give it my best shot."

With his form over year and his 6-2 winning record against Roddick, Murray had been hotly tipped to match Bunny Austin's 1938 run to the final.

Instead, he joins Mike Sangster, Roger Taylor and Tim Henman on the list of Britain's losing semi-finalists in the 71 years since.

He believes his chance will come again.

"I believe I can win a Grand Slam, whether it's Wimbledon or US Open or Australia or whatever, I'm going to give myself chances."

Roddick, along with many others in the game, agrees that Murray is on course to win at least one Grand Slam title.

"He's going to break through and win one of these titles and probably numerous ones. He's too good not to," he said.

"In my mind it's a matter of time - it's not if, but when."

On Friday though, Murray was frustrated by a brilliant display by Roddick, who will face Roger Federer for the third time in a Wimbledon final on Sunday.

"If he serves like that, he's got a chance against anyone," said Murray.

"If someone serves at 130mph consistently throughout the match, it's very tough to break them - especially on a court like this that's quick."

Roddick told BBC Sport immediately after the match that Murray "had a lot of pressure on him", but the Scot denied it had been a factor.

"I put pressure on myself to play well, but there weren't moments where I felt too tight to go for my shots," he said.

"Maybe I made some mistakes I shouldn't have in the third-set tie-break, but I don't think I could say I wasn't swinging freely."

Murray also cited the match statistics, which had him on top in both aces and winners.

But Roddick's stunning serving display, allied with a tactical plan he carried out to the letter, gave the American the edge.

Murray, though, said he was pleased with his tournament on the whole.

"It's been very good. I did better than I ever had before," he said.

"I had some very good matches. I thought I dealt with everything put in front of me. It was a good tournament."

He added: "The last few slams that I've lost, I've come up against some guys that have played great, great tennis.

"Mentally, for me, I've got much better at it, understanding that guys can do that against you. That's happened to me a few times now in slams.

"I need to keep making sure I bring my best game to the court in every match."

No comments:

Post a Comment