Monday, August 17, 2009

RAFAEL'S STRONG RETURN BACK


Rafael Nadal was only on court for 36 minutes on his singles comeback as his opponent David Ferrer retired hurt at the Montreal Masters.

Nadal was back in action after 10 weeks out with knee problems, and was trailing 4-3 in a scrappy first set when fellow Spaniard Ferrer pulled out.

Ferrer played with one knee taped and twice required visits from the trainer before calling it quits.

"I'm very sorry it had to end like this," said defending champion Nadal.

The world number two saved six break points in the fourth game before losing serve, only to break Ferrer again in the seventh game before the early end.

"I must be happy, because I didn't play terrible. In the next round, I have another chance to continue to improve. Every match, every game is important to feel better for me.

"My knees felt OK, but I need more days to have a real test."

No comments:

Post a Comment